At Livingston Plastic Surgery, our patients often ask us about the optimal time of year to get the different procedures we provide. If you’re thinking about getting surgery such as a rhinoplasty, the timing of your procedure is one of the most essential factors to consider, especially since you will need to plan time for healing and recovery.
Why Schedule Your Rhinoplasty During the Summer?
Many patients find summer rhinoplasty has a variety of advantages, including the following.
There’s More Time for Downtime
Summer is a more relaxed season for many people. Some businesses shift to shortened hours, and professionals such as teachers may have even more time off than that. Life at a slower pace gives you more opportunity to take a couple of weeks to devote to your rhinoplasty recovery without worrying you will fall behind on work or other responsibilities, which you may not have the flexibility to do at other times of the year. Take full advantage of this less hectic time so you can give yourself the rest you need for your body to adjust after surgery.
Plenty of Rest and Relaxation
Summer and vacations are practically synonymous. This year, why not opt-out of going to the beach and getting a sunburn, spending hours stuck in the car on a long road trip, or fighting crowds at an amusement park? Instead, load up your e-reader with all those books you’ve been meaning to get to, or make an epic Netflix playlist of acclaimed TV shows, and have your best “staycation” ever! While everyone else is sweating through their summer break, you can keep your cool in your blissfully air-conditioned house.
Scheduling Is Easier
If you have children, you might be worried about getting rhinoplasty during the summer. But having the kids out of school can work to your advantage. For one thing, you won’t have to worry about dropoffs, pickups, or homework help during the summer. Depending on how independent your children are, you might even be able to send them away to summer camp or to a relative’s house for a couple of weeks while you recover.
Summer Rhinoplasty Recovery Tips
Recovering from rhinoplasty surgery is typically a straightforward process; however, there are a few special do’s and don’ts to keep in mind during the summer.
- Limit sun exposure: Staying away from damaging UV rays is always best for the health of your skin. But if you have had rhinoplasty, avoiding the sun is especially critical as you recover. If you go outdoors for any length of time, wear a hat and bring a high-SPF sunscreen to reapply to your nose throughout the day.
- Expect swelling: The heat and humidity of summer will make your body more likely to retain water, which can exacerbate swelling. While keeping your head elevated and using cold compresses can help alleviate it, don’t be alarmed if you experience more swelling than you may initially have anticipated.
- Don’t wear glasses or sunglasses: The nosepiece of glasses can apply too much pressure to your healing nose. Even though glasses and sunglasses might not feel heavy, the force they exert can be enough to impede your healing process. Avoid glasses of any kind for the first month after your surgery.
- Don’t go swimming: Avoid getting in the water for at least a month after your rhinoplasty. Both saltwater and chlorine can irritate your nasal passages and slow down your healing process. Putting your head underwater is also not advisable because the water pressure may negatively affect your nose’s appearance.
- Do not do strenuous exercise: After your surgery, mild exercise like walking on a treadmill is an excellent idea to help speed your healing process. However, you should avoid all exercises that require you to bend or lift heavy weights for two weeks after surgery. Activities like these can put unnecessary strain on your nose as it heals.
Are You a Good Candidate for a Nose Job?
If the size, shape, and projection of your nose have been affecting your self-esteem, or if you are struggling with respiratory problems due to anatomical defects in your nose, rhinoplasty surgery from a board-certified plastic surgeon like Dr. Chris Livingston can help improve both the form and function of your nose.
During a consultation, Dr. Livingston can evaluate your facial anatomy and help you determine if this procedure is the right choice for you. To get the nose you’ve always wanted this summer, contact our Houston plastic surgery center today.